Flash Photography & Home Studio Lighting
Our 10th Year at Stewart Hall!
Starts Wednesday January 31, 2018
12 1/2 hours over 5 nights -
Pointe Claire Cultural Centre - Stewart Hall
176 chemin Bord-du-Lac / Lakeshore Road
Pointe Claire, Quebec
If you aspire to take superior portraits of family events or weddings, or just well-lit photos of your arts and crafts and other products, for resale on sites like Etsy or eBay, then this workshop is for you!
A powerful external flash, either on or off camera, provides a wonderful opportunity for creative lighting not possible with a built in, or “pop-up” flash. Learn how to shape with light using assorted diffusers, reflectors, umbrellas, soft boxes, light tents, coloured theatrical filters and various light modifiers for unique lighting effects.
Technical lessons on TTL flash use, shaping with light, camera settings, metering and more will advance your skills. Sessions include posed model photography, both indoor and outdoors (weather permitting) using various sets and backdrops, plus hands-on product imagery.
Four challenging assignments with helpful critique will enhance your skills!
12 1/2 hours over 5 nights - from 7pm till 9:30pm
Only ONE session!
Dates: Wednesdays, January 31, February 7, 14, 21 & 28, 2018
Skill level: Intermediate
Suggested prerequisites: Digital Photo 101 and/or Digital Photo 201
An external flash (speedlight) is required such as
Nikon, Canon, Metz, Vivitar, Sigma, etc
Recommended for persons using Digital SLR (DSLR) cameras such as
Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Sony, Pentax, etc
Bring your camera and flash operating manuals
Presented mostly in English.
Maximum class size: 10
Course Outline :
- Lighting setups for portraiture and product photography
- Balancing flash and ambient light for best results
- Using reflective and shoot-through umbrellas
- Umbrellas vs softboxes - differences and when to use
- Using "continuous light" softboxes with fluorescent bulbs!
- Remote flash firing with infrared line-of-sight triggers
- Using "radios" such as Pocket Wizard to trip flashes
- Using light modifiers such as grids, snouts, diffusers & filters
- Creating homemade filters for intriguing effects
Photoshop Elements versions 11 to 15, and/or Lightroom 6/CC instruction :
- Retouching and colour correction techniques for portraits & product shots
- Retouching with the Healing and Clone tools
- Layers and non-destructive editing methods
- Tethered shooting with your computer and Lightroom 6
- Easy retouching techniques with the Portrait Pro plugin for PS & LR
Printed handouts and PDF's are provided with detailed information of the topics covered. Four challenging Photo Assignments will help you practice techniques learned each night. Participants will be encouraged to submit completed projects on a USB key, to evaluate and provide insightful critique of their imagery.
A Resource List of recommended books will be supplied, plus a "Where to Buy" directory of lighting equipment, filters and specialty parts to create a diversified home studio.
The cost for this five-night workshop is $ 103.00 (taxes included)
Register online at: (after January 3, 2018)
Register by phone, or in person from
Monday to Thursday- 8:30am to 7pm; Fridays- 8:30am to 4:30pm
at the Stewart Hall Cultural Centre,
176 chemin Bord-du-Lac/Lakeshore Road in Pointe Claire.
For more information, please call: 514-630-1220
to be missed!